Q: Rattling sound coming from front drivers side wheel well.

When driving at slow speeds over bumpy terrain, there is a metallic rattling sound coming from the front driver's side wheel well. This noise can best be hear at low speeds and only happens when driving over a pothole or bumpy terrain.

This could be a number of things, but the first things I noticed is the age and mileage of your car. It should still be under warranty. I recommend taking it to the dealer for this repair. If for some reason it isn’t under warranty, I will offer a few possibilities.

The most common cause of rattling noises from the wheel area being loose or a worn strut mount or the strut coming apart. This rarely is a cause for alarm but of course can be very annoying. Aside from the strut, which wouldn’t be typical for a vehicle of this age, you could have a hub cap that is broken or installed incorrectly. Another common failure is a sway bar link. Those will only make noises over bumps.

As I said before, I think your car is still under warranty. Before you spend time or take your car to an independent mechanic, make sure it isn’t covered by the manufacturers warranty. If you are no longed covered under warranty, consider having your rattling noise inspected and repaired by a mobile technician from YourMechanic.

A rattling noise in that area can be a number of things including bad struts, timing chain issue, or bent suspension components. You should have the front suspension sway bar bushings or link arms inspected for loose or worn components and repaired as needed. A front end inspection on a lift would be the best way to identify the noise of the loose or broken component.

3. Rattling sound coming from front drivers side wheel well.