Q: rattle under the hood.

When I start my car in the morning I hear a rattle under the hood. Almost like something is loose. When it warms up it is fine? This is the first time I have ever had to keep my car outside as I moved in September. It has been garaged since I purchased it in 2007. Don't know if that is the reason or not.

Hi there. An initial engine rattle upon start up is common if there is an oiling or lubrication issue. Inside the motor are hydraulic valve lifters, which are lubricated by oil. When an engine sits for extended periods, the oil drains into the oil pan. When you start the vehicle, oil is pumped to these components, however requires a few seconds for the oil pump to fully fill the "oil cushion" cavities inside each lifter. Once this occurs, the engine goes back to quiet operation. While annoying, it is nothing to worry about, unless the noise is growing louder rapidly. Make sure the engines oil level is correct - check every week or so, just to be sure this isn’t a low oil level issue. However it is also possible that a belt or pulley is loose which can cause the rattle as well. I would recommend having a professional mobile mechanic come to your location and complete an engine is making a noise inspection so they can pinpoint the source of the noise and recommend any repairs.

3. rattle under the hood.