Q: Should tensioner be changed with the serpentine belt replacement

Should I replace the belt tensioner if I'm replacing the serpentine belt just for maintenance? I'm not having any issues.

Of course, it is a good idea to be safe, but then again, it also depends on your vehicle. I’ve seen some Toyotas and Hondas that had the original tensioner with around 200,000 miles and they still work fine. So, you won’t want to throw your money away if you have one of those makes. On the other hand, if you have a Chrysler, every time you change that belt, change the tensioner because they are really cheaply made and go out all the time. So a lot of it depends on the car you have, what kind of shape it’s in, and how many miles it has. And if it’s old, it’s a good idea to change the tensioner.

3. Should tensioner be changed with the serpentine belt replacement