Q: Random fluid leak somewhere under car

I noticed some new stains on the driveway the other day right where I park my 2008 GMC Acadia. It’s not oil or coolant, so I am guessing it is transmission fluid. Now, this leak is not consistent and you can’t see it happen, but it is slowly leaking. Is this normal at 70k miles? I am worried that the transmission will fail now, but there are no other symptoms. What should I do about this?

You are describing a possible transmission or power steering leak, both use similar fluids. In order for YourMechanic to properly diagnose a minor leak and where it is coming from, they would first need to do a visual leak inspection to see if a source can be identified. If, on the other hand, the leak is a widespread one, a thorough cleaning and the addition of an automotive oil dye to the transmission, engine and power steering systems would ensue. This dye can be seen with a black light and can be isolated thus it is useful in pinpointing leaks and their origins. Once any leaks have been diagnosed, repair recommendations can be made for fixing any issues.

3. Random fluid leak somewhere under car