Q: Ran gas out now won't start

asked by on February 03, 2017

I got a 2001 Lincoln Town Car my children's Mother through it in park when I did not have no gas I try starting it forgot there was no gas slipped my mind arguing with my children's Mother ran the battery dead while trying to start it then put gas in it in charge the battery still will not start change the fuel pump still not starting what to do could it be because there's no oil or can it be the security system do not know please help

Car is not starting Inspection $79.99 - $89.99 Get a Quote
Starter Replacement $154.22 - $1142.70 Get a Quote

Be sure the battery is fully charged. If you suspect low engine oil, the oil level should be checked on the oil dipstick. Of course, confirm that the engine immobilizer system (security system) is not activated thus preventing the car from starting. Listen for the characteristic, but momentary, whirring sound from the in-tank fuel pump at key "on". If no fuel pump operation is detected at key "on", the fuel pump is probably still the issue. If the starter motor is turning the engine over rapidly, at sufficient RPM, but the engine does not catch and run, that means that there is an ignition, fuel or air induction fault in the engine that will have to be repaired. To obtain a diagnose and repair of the fault, the service to request is a no start diagnostic.

On the other hand, if there is no starter operation with the key held in the "start" position, the procedure is to test for power to the starter motor. If there is no power, then the electrical circuit supplying the motor has a fault. That circuit begins at the battery and includes grounds, wiring (some of which is very heavy cabling), fuses, relays, the ignition switch and terminations. Basically, with the key held in the "start" position, the starter is either getting power or it isn’t. With the key in the "start" position, if the starter motor is getting power but it doesn’t work, the starter is condemned and replaced. On the other hand, with the key in the "start" position, if there is no power to the starter, then the circuit is traced until the fault in the circuit is found. In addition to a faulty ignition switch, faults can include high resistances, due to corrosion, wire strand breaks, or loose terminals, which can only be diagnosed using a voltage drop test. If you desire that a certified mechanic resolve this, please simply request a no start diagnostic and the responding certified mechanic will get the problem diagnosed and repaired for you. Please let us know if you have further concerns or questions as we are always here to help you.