Q: Transmission not engaging

asked by on February 16, 2016

My transmission will not engage. I am hoping it is something simple, such as the sensors or the vacuum lines.

Hello. If the shifter is moving fine and the truck responds to the shifter position but does not move when the transmission has more than likely failed. If there is no response at all, then it may be the shift linkage. I typically start by making sure that the shift linkage on the transmission is hooked up. If it is and it moves with the shifter, then the transmission will need to be replaced. If you plan on having this diagnosed, consider YourMechanic, as a certified mechanic can come to your home or office to inspect your transmission to have this issue repaired.