Q: Radio/navigation/telephone system freezes

A few weeks after purchasing my car, the radio/navigation/telephone system started freezing. The gps, radio, telephone etc. A central touch screen panel on the dashboard controls all of them. Suddenly, the gps will become unresponsive to touch and then can not be used. This is randomly happening, but does keep repeating. It happens after a few miles of driving when it becomes unresponsive to touch and then remains that way until the car is turned off and then started again. This especially happens on hot days. In my research, this has happened to many others who own this make/model and their only solution for a permanent fix has been to replace the navigation system. There is a service bulletin from Toyota T-tt-0336-15 that mentions the problem. I have already been to the dealership ‘3’ times because of this and I keep being told that they can’t ‘reproduce’ the problem and thus want to analyze it further. I showed them multiple videos, but they refused to acknowledge or help. They asked me to contact NHTSA if I have any complaint or keep going through their analysis process. What can I do to get this recognized as a problem and get it repaired? Thanks.

A: Unfortunately, the only way to have this co...

Unfortunately, the only way to have this covered is to leave it at the dealer for an extended time to let them try and verify the problem. The technicians at dealerships will not do any work to a vehicle if they cannot verify the problem. If they did, then it would make them liable if something happened to you or your vehicle related to what they did or did not do. The navigation screen is used by the hybrid system and will have to be verified before any repair can be done. If you would rather not go back to the dealer, a certified technician from YourMechanic can come to your home or office to inspect your electrical system and help you move forward with repairs.