Q: Radiator and engine leaks

I took my car to a get a diagnostic and the shop told me I have a radiator leak, engine leak, and an ABS code. What do I need to have done to fix these problems?

Hi there. An inspection of the radiator for white residue will be necessary. Radiator leaks generally occur where the plastic side tanks are mated to the sides of the aluminum radiator core. If this is the case, the radiator will need to be replaced, as these type of radiators are unserviceable. If the leak is not noticeable, then a pressure test in the cooling system will need to be performed to ensure cooling system integrity.

Engine leaks are generally either coolant leaks or oil leaks. Coolant leaks can usually be found during a pressure test. Oil leaks, will have an oily or dirt covered buildup at the area from the source of the leak. Oil leaks can also be traced by pouring in a penetrating dye into the oil system and then using a UV light source to look for a glow at the source of the leak. The source will either need to be resealed or the leaking component will need replacement. As far as the ABS code, it will need to be identified and the failing component will need to be replaced. You may want to enlist a mechanic, such as one from YourMechanic, to inspect the ABS Light and also inspect the engine leak coming from an unknown source.