Q: Can/should passenger side airbags ever deploy without having driver airbags deploy?

Looking at buying a used Sienna. Owner says minor front-passenger-side fender bender caused passenger side airbags to deploy; driver's side did not. Local dealership service department says that should never happen, indicates there is something more significant wrong with the vehicle. Is passenger-side-only airbag deployment possible, or should we pass on this car?

I believe that if the passenger air bag deploys the driver side air bag should also deploy. If the air bag that deployed was a passenger ’side’ air bag (meaning an airbag located in the seat as opposed to the dashboard) then it is possible to have only one sides airbag deploy. If the passenger side dashboard airbag deployed but the one in the steering wheel did not, there is an issue with the airbag system on that vehicle.

3. Can/should passenger side airbags ever deploy without having driver airbags deploy?