Q: Push the gas pedal and the car moves slowly until it finally catches up. The engine sounds funny. How much to get it looked at?

I noticed that when I get into the car and start driving the gas pedal gets pushed and the car moves but slowly. It takes a bit for it to start really moving. When sitting at a red light, the engine makes a chuffing noise like it's dying. Then I push the gas pedal, and instead of it taking off....it slowly moves. It's my only vehicle, and I need to know what I can do someone suggested a fuel pump issue or a clogged fuel line. I don't know for sure.

What your car is experiencing is referred to as "loss of power". Among common possibilities for loss of power are throttle body faults (electronic throttle controls, mass airflow sensor, torn air intake hose), worn out spark plugs, faulty fuel pump or restricted fuel system (plugged fuel injectors), and large vacuum leaks (including EGR malfunctions, PCV system, leaking intake manifold, leaking EVAP purge valve). A scan tool would be used to look at real time conditions within the engine (particularly fuel trim, etc.) and identify the root cause. If you want the required diagnostic tests performed by a certified Mechanic, dispatched by YourMechanic right to your location, please request a loss of power inspection/diagnostic and the responding certified mechanic will get this problem resolved for you. The cost of the diagnostic is explained at the loss of power inspection/diagnostic service page. If you have further questions or concerns, do not hesitate to re-contact YourMechanic as we are always here to help you.