Q: Problems with idle control valve actuator

Our 1997 Kia Sportage seems to be having trouble idling. When we crank over the engine, the engine sounds like it is running too rough and the RPMs rise too quickly even before the gas pedal is pressed. Pressing the gas pedal makes the sound worse. Eventually, the engine will cut off completely at idle.

Hi there. The idle control valve actuator is one of a few components and sensors that monitors and activates the fuel system for your 97 Kia Sportage. It could also be an O2 sensor, vacuum leak or other problem that is causing the symptoms you’re describing. A good idea would be for you to contact a local certified mechanic that lives in your area so they can road test and inspect the car’s stalling issues to pinpoint any faults. They’ll also be able to plug in a diagnostic tester and download any error codes that will indicate electrical problems for you.