Q: Problem with wandering steering

My car has a problem with tracking straight when driving at highway speeds. It wanders, much like it would with cross winds, but it does when it is windy. I spent time at the dealership this morning. The alignment and tire pressures are correct. I am told that the next step is to contact a Nissan engineer to evaluate the problem. Do you have any other suggestions?

Assuming that the technician who checked your alignment also checked your suspension parts for play, it is possible that a tire conicity issue would be the cause of your problem. Although a tire may have correct pressure, it can still conform to a cone shape after a period of time. This cone shaped tire can cause the vehicle to pull in the direction of the smallest diameter.

I would recommend having your tires rechecked for proper wear. It is also a good idea to make sure that no play exists in the steering shaft as this can cause the vehicle to wander as well. For best results, have this inspection performed by a certified suspension and steering technician as opposed to checking yourself.