Q: AUDI A3 1.6L - Engine overheating and temperature needle starts above minimum

Some weeks ago my cooling system started having some problems. My engine temperature on the cluster shows from 60'C - 120'C. The car started getting stuck on 105'C and both fans hit in. Then thought the thermostat housing with the temperature sensor was bad and replaced it. After i replaced it my temperature needle automatic goes up to 78'C when i turn on the ignition and both my fans will start. The temperature will slowly rise up to 105'C again and gets stuck there. What can the main problem be?

A: Hi, thanks for writing in. It is possible t...

Hi, thanks for writing in. It is possible that you could have a faulty water pump. The water pump is designed to circulate the coolant through the engine. The water pump has an impeller inside of it and it physically moves the fluid. If this impeller is broken off, it will not make any noise and will not pump any fluid. I would recommend having a qualified professional take a look at your water pump to inspect for damages. This will most likely include removing the water pump from the engine. If the impeller has fallen off of the water pump, replacement of the water pump will resolve this overheating issue that you are having.