Q: high mileage reading on my odometer for unknown reasons.

I brought a Hyundai Sonata Car almost a year back (2011 Model) When I brought the car the Mileage reading was 72K but within 11 months of drive I noticed my Car Mileage reading to be 99k. I am bit surprised as I have driven long drives but not to this extent. Is there a concern I need to look into like the Speedometer being tampered or something ? Please advice.

Thanks Vinu

If the vehicle was register at 72K miles and then register at 99K miles after 11 months, that is 2,455 miles per month. If you are traveling on the freeways a lot and taking long trips that are 30 to 40 minutes away at highway speeds, then it is possible to get to this mileage per month. On your vehicle, if someone was to disconnect the odometer and try to make it read more would not be accurate and cause the check engine light to come on. It is possible that the mileage could have changed on the display. Check the data in the computer to see if the odometer matches. If it does not, then the dashboard gauge cluster needs replaced. If it does, then the mileage maybe correct. Take a note of the miles that you drive in a week and verify the length of time for each trip to cross reference your miles on the odometer. If you need further assistance with your odometer reading too many miles, then seek out a professional, such as one from Your Mechanic, to help you.

3. high mileage reading on my odometer for unknown reasons.