Q: Problem starting after fueling have to give it to start

asked by on October 13, 2016

Every time I pump gas I have problems starting my 2010 traverse I have to give it gas and keep it over 1000 rpm for almost a minute in order to get my truck going and not cutting off on me and now sometimes just parked sounds like if it wants to cut of.I took it to get check engine light check and they told me it was a sensor above the gas tank

Hello. All modern cars are equipped with an Evaporative Emission Control (EVAP) system. The EVAP system prevents fuel vapors from the fuel tank from escaping into the atmosphere. The EVAP system collects and temporarily stores the fuel vapors in the charcoal canister. The charcoal canister is filled with activated carbon pellets that can absorb the fuel vapors.

When the engine is running, the fuel vapors are purged from the canister and burned in the engine. The vent control valve (solenoid) controls the flow of outside air in and out of the charcoal canister. One side of the vent valve is connected to the charcoal canister. The other side is connected to the vent hose that has a filter or screen at the end and is attached to the car body or frame. In some cars, the vent valve is attached to the canister. In others, it’s installed separately near the canister.

The vent valve is controlled by the engine computer (PCM). Normally the vent valve is open. It closes when the engine computer tests the EVAP system for leaks. If a leak in the EVAP system is detected, the Check Engine light will illuminate on the dash and the trouble code related to the problem will be stored in the engine computer. A professional from YourMechanic can check the code and pinpoint the correct repairs for the hard starting issue.