Q: Pressurised fuel is leaking into the cab of my Vauxhall Combo Van

When I rev my van, what appeared to be smoke would come into the cab but have now realised it is diesel mist/vapours. My mechanic can't seem to find a fault after checking the fuel rail. What could cause this? Cheers

A: Hello. The smell is being caused by some fo...

Hello. The smell is being caused by some form of leak being drawn into the vents. It may be related to an exhaust leak or a fuel leak. If it is truly fuel that is coming into the vents then there is an obvious fuel leak in the system somewhere. It may very well be a tiny leak that wouldn’t show on a gauge on a fuel rail.

You are going to want to look again at any lines, connections, and possibly even the injector seals. If you are experiencing an exhaust leak, you will want to start at the exhaust manifold. An exhaust leak can typically be found with a smoke test. Once you repair the source of the leak, you should be able to run the heater or A/C without any issue.

Be careful if it is a fuel leak, as they are the number one case of engine fires, and need to be taken seriously. If you need help with the job, consider YourMechanic, as one of our mobile technicians can come to your location to diagnose the fuel leak firsthand and fix it accordingly. Best of luck.