Q: Power window not working

I'm troubleshooting my passenger power window it won't go up or down. I've tested the motor bypassing the switch and it works. I've purchased a new switch with same results. I tested the motor plug and I have constant power on one side without moving the switch. I thought there shouldn't be voltage at the motor plug until you press the switch. When you press the switch up or down you can hear the motor click. What could be the problem?

A: Hi there. The wires to the window motor sho...

Hi there. The wires to the window motor should be receiving power at all times. When you press on the switch in either direction to move the window up or down it provides ground to one of the wires or the other. I usually take my voltage meter to make sure that it is providing the correct amount of voltage the the ground that is required when operating the switch. It sounds like the voltage may be too low or that the ground circuit may not be connecting. If you need further help replacing your power window fixed, consider YourMechanic, as a certified mechanic can come to your home or office to diagnose and repair the power window.