Q: Power steering tank is leaking

Informed that the power steering tank is leaking and that this requires replacement of the rack and pinion. Fluids last check in July 16. Began hearing whining noises when turning the wheel in Sep 16. No smell of burning oil, fluid spots noticed on the ground. Steering seems normal; not loose or tight. Can you verify whether or not a rack and pinion replacement is necessary when a power steering tank leak is discovered.

Hi there. No, the power steering rack usually does not require replacement if the tank is leaking. If the rack is leaking, then yes. However, the tank and pump may need to be replaced as the whine noise occurs when the fluid level is low and provides less lubrication inside the pump. A qualified technician should perform an inspection to confirm any needed parts and avoid unnecessary parts replacement. YourMechanic has several available technicians that can assist you with an inspection of the power steering fluid leak.