Power steering pump is whirring s60 volvo 2003 l5-2.4l po...

Q: Power steering pump is whirring

asked by on August 09, 2016

Power steering pump makes a whirring noise replaced it twice one used one re manufactured still the same love my volvo want it back quiter

Usually when the power steering pump makes noise, it is caused by air in the system. It is possible that the inlet hose to the pump has a small leak, causing the pump to pull a small amount of air into the system.

It may not leak fluid because the pump creates a small vacuum to pull the fluid into it. You should not see any bubbles in the fluid when the car is running. Even very, very small bubbles can cause noise.

A certified technician, like one from YourMechanic, will be able to diagnose the exact cause of the noise. Good luck.