Q: Power steering gets stuck and heavy but hasn't stopped working

When I try turning my wheel, at some spots it gets heavy and stuck but it hasn't lost power steering fully. I've changed the fluid. Is it the pump or the rack and pinion?

Normally, it’s the rack and pinion. But, the first thing you’d want to do is try my video "fixing binding power steering." It shows how you can flush it - power flush cleaning. A lot of times, that will clean the sludge out and it will work fine. If it doesn’t work, then generally, that means you need a new rack and they are very expensive. They are not cheap things to replace.

3. Power steering gets stuck and heavy but hasn't stopped working