Q: Power steering assist fault

asked by on December 09, 2017

Power steering assist fault warning message and loss of power steering when i start my car in cold weather. Warning message clears and. Steering returns once car is warmed up for 30min-1hr is this because of weak battery?

Interestingly, there is an identical report of this fault, for your year, make and model, in the NHTSA database. It’s probably not the battery, although you should still go ahead and load test the battery. Once the car engine is running, the alternator can fully supply the electric load created by the electric power steering; that’s why I doubt the battery is relevant. There is probably a temperature sensitive electrical component in the electric power steering system that is falling out at low temperature. While the system is cold (and failed) electrical tests would probably reveal the fault. If you desire a resolution, the recommended service is an electrical components diagnostic. If you have further questions or concerns, do not hesitate to re-contact YourMechanic as we are always here to help you.