Q: Power problems

asked by on

I replaced my spark plugs, wires, distributor cap, coil, gas filters and my truck runs good until I drive it and then it jerks and acts like it's missing out on power. I Am not sure what to do. When I replaced my spark plug wires I didn't have them in the correct order and it fried my solenoid. I replaced it and it worked however, I'm not sure it didn't affect my voltage regulator. I have good lighting, except my headlights dim when the engine is idling and they brighten when pushing the gas pedal. When I rev my engine it revs up normal. It seems to be getting plenty of gas. I have no idea what to do now😢. Please help.

My car has 100000 miles.
My car has a manual transmission.

You may have defective ignition module or distributor pip sensor. I would suggest having a mechanic like one from YourMechanic check the problem for you or you can start by replacing the ignition module and see if it helps? You may also have a carburetor issue. The carburetor should be check if the base place is loose by twisting it back and forth to see if base place is loose and if it is the carburetor will need to be overhauled or replaced.

Was this answer helpful?
The statements expressed above are only for informational purposes and should be independently verified. Please see our terms of service for more details
  1. Home
  2. Questions
  3. Q: Power problems

Get an instant quote for your car

Our certified mechanics come to you ・Backed by 12-month, 12,000-mile guarantee・Fair and transparent pricing

Get a quote

What others are asking

Q: All dash lights and headlights work, but car won't start.

The starter signal goes through the ignition switch through the clutch switch or automatic shift position sensor then it gets passed to the starter relay. The starter relay controls the starter. My recommendation is to have the system checked by...

Q: Car starting and dying

Hi. Replacing parts without diagnosing can get expensive very quickly. The carburetor needs to be adjusted properly before installing (idle screws 3 1/2 turns out, throttle stop barely cracked) and the insulator gasket has to be the correct part. Many...

Q: Car has trouble starting and misfires.

A new ignition coil is a very likely suspect for this issue. I would recommend enlisting the assistance of a YourMechanic technician to diagnose your issue. Have the technician switch the suspect ignition coil with a known good one and...

Related articles

P0052 OBD-II Trouble Code: HO2S Heater Control Circuit High (Bank 2 Sensor 1)
P0052 code definition HO2S Heater Control Circuit High (Bank 2 Sensor 1) What the...
Rules of the Road For Iowa Drivers
Driving on the roads requires knowledge of the rules, many of which are based on common sense and courtesy. However, even though you know the rules in...
How to Avoid Back Pain in a Car
If you have back problems, sitting in a car for an extended period of time can be excruciating. Even without back problems, you could experience discomfort and soreness from...