Q: Poor gas mileage 2013 Hyundai Sonata

My 2013 sonata gls is getting 16-20 mpg with mixed city and highway driving. I always have active eco on and leave the car in normal automatic and not sports mode. I have a k&n typhoon air intake installed. I dont drive sporadically, i dont accelerate or brake hard. My car just passed its VA emissions test. Could my car just need a service or could it be something else? Also i purchased the car through usaa in October of this year.

A: Hello - if your car passed emissions testin...

Hello - if your car passed emissions testing, and the Check Engine light is NOT on, your vehicle is at least passing the on-board diagnostics. Many other factors can affect fuel mileage however, tire pressure, clogged fuel filter, short trips vs longer trips, cold weather hurts fuel mileage. etc. I would recommend a vehicle inspection to determine if there is some other factor preventing better mileage by a mobile, professional mechanic, such as one from YourMechanic, who will come to your location, diagnose this problem, give you an accurate assessment of damage and cost estimate for repairs.