Q: P0740 - Torque converter clutch malfunction.

I had a code for high electrical input which my mechanic attributed to me putting a splitter in my cigarette outlet so i could have more outlets. this code came up along with P0740 TC clutch. he says it could have been set off by the high electrical load. he reset my check engine light. and it has not turned back on, with minimal driving the passed few days. I have to make a 4 hour drive in a few weeks. Would it still be safe to make this drive provided my engine light does not come back on? assuming I have directly fixed the high electrical load and indirectly fix the P0740 code?

Hi there. The torque converter clutch code has came on for the input shaft sensor has picked up a different speed when the engine is running. The clutch is slipping in and out of lock. Check the transmission fluid and make sure that it is full and red in color. If the converter clutch is slipping, then I recommend replacing the torque converter. I recommend seeking out a professional, such as one from Your Mechanic, to help you troubleshoot the torque converter clutch.