Q: P0446 trouble code

Evap P0446 trouble code

Hi there, thanks for writing in. This P0446 trouble code relates to the evaporation control system circuit, which is a restricted vent path for the EVAP (Emergency Vehicle Accident Prevention) system.

There is a solenoid in this circuit that sometimes can fail or get stuck not allowing the venting to work correctly which will trigger this code. In terms of fixing this, you will need to verify that there is power and ground to the solenoid. A scanning tool will be best to help you identify what specifically is going on. The vent solenoid is underneath the car above the rear axle area. There should be a black plastic canister which is the EVAP canister. The vent solenoid will be attached to that with a red two-wire connector that attaches to it.

Keep in mind that replacing this may not necessarily clear the code right away, as the EVAP system can take some time to run tests through the computer. If you’d like help with this, consider having one of our certified automotive technicians from YourMechanic come to your home or office to inspect, diagnose, and repair this issue for you.