Q: P0008 error code is shown

asked by on October 30, 2016

I found engine light on. P0008 error code. what can i do? is it serious? how can it be fixed on 2008 Suzuki XL7, 3.6 liters ? it has 160000 Kms on it .

The P0008 code you are receiving is telling you the camshafts and the crankshaft are reading that they are out of sync. The computer will run tests on the alignment of the camshafts to each other, and with the crankshaft.

If the computer detects that theses are not aligned properly, you will want to check the timing chain. In addition to the timing chain, the sensor can also fail and send the computer false readings. The sensor would be a much easier fix than the timing chain, but you wont know what is causing the issue until further inspection has been done.

If the vehicle has been running fine, and the light coming on was not accompanied by drivability issues, then you are most likely having a sensor issue. A damaged or broken timing chain will come with many other symptoms. Other mechanical issues can also cause these components to become unaligned, and the extent of the repair will depend on the issue. If you would like to have a thorough inspection, a certified technician from YourMechanic can come to your car’s location to diagnose the Check Engine Light and follow through with repairs.