Q: Overdue for an oil change. Now the car won't run without foot on the gas.

After running errands in the van then doing paperwork with engine running i stopped the car got out did some shopping. When i got back in and started it up it stalled almost immediately and had maybe a pop sound and some (but not a lot) smoke came from the hood. I knew i was due for an oil change and it dies have a slow leak so my first thought was that it was dry and immediately added some oil to the tank. After letting it sit for about 5 min i tried starting it back up again and it started (but only after a couple cranks) but wouldn't stay running without my foot on the gas.

Hi - first task is to get oil back up to level - then check for problem codes, whether the Check Engine Light is illuminated or not.

This engine has a large history of ejecting spark plugs out of the cylinder head, and it’s quite possible that’s what you heard. So now the engine is running on 7 cylinders at best instead of 8.

It is also possible, given your extended mileage, that the engine jumped time due to worn timing chain components when you restarted it. If the oil level has been low for some time, that would aggravate normal wear and increase the risk of a timing related event.

I would recommend having a rough idle inspection completed by a mobile, professional mechanic, such as one from YourMechanic, to diagnose this problem, get an accurate assessment of damage and cost estimate for repairs.

• Overdue for an oil change. Now the car won't run without foot on the gas.