Q: Can engine control module be repaired

Car started misfiring then would not start. I'm 100 miles for nearest dealership Can module be removed and repaired. Dealership wants entire car to work on it

A: Hello. I do not believe that any module or ...

Hello. I do not believe that any module or computer on a vehicle can be repaired. Unfortunately, these are sealed units and must be replaced if they fail. In addition, many engine computers require special programming from the dealership once installed. It is very likely that a trip to the dealer is inevitable in this situation due to the part that has failed. In order to verify that the PCM is actually bad, I would recommend having a local mechanic check your vehicle for trouble codes to determine if the PCM has given an indication as to what the issue is. If you can’t access a mechanic, you can try looking into the misfiring issue by checking the ignition coil and spark plugs to see if there are overly worn or damaged in any way.