Q: Only cranks and starts sometimes. When it doesn't start, I hear a click coming from relay box. I don't think click is coming from starter

About 2 months ago is when I first had the problem. Went to start an nothing but one quiet click. Now becoming more frequent. At first if I turned the key over a few times in succession it would fire up, now it won't. One time it wouldn't start I smacked the steering column and it fired, next time it wouldn't start I tried hitting the column again, but didn't work, so tapped the starter and it fired. Need help determining if it's the starter, ignition switch or neutral safety switch.

A: Hello. I believe the starter solenoid is wh...

Hello. I believe the starter solenoid is where the "clicking" originates - essentially a giant relay for the starter motor. The contacts do "burn" over time, conducting less and less current each time. Replacing the starter assembly is the cure.

Poor battery cable connections are another source of the "poor starting blues", but cheaper and easier to check. If you have good clean battery connections, and the battery is in good shape, I would recommend having a Starter Replacement Service. A certified professional from YourMechanic can come to your location to perform this repair if you would like a mechanic to come to you.

Recommended services
Get a Quote