Q: On cold start up it idles up to 2800 after a few min i tap the gas and it drops to normal 800 -1000 rpm idle speed

It runs amazing but im worried the high idle for a few minutes every time i cold start will cause damage down the road....any ideas? Is this normal? Seems high to me

The fast idle speed on your vehicle should be 2100 rpm. The carburetor on your truck has a choke system that will increase the idle when it’s cold, to help get the truck up to operating temperature a little more quickly. There is an adjustment on the side of the carburetor that will adjust the idle speed accordingly. There is a procedure for setting this high idle when the choke is set, by putting the choke linkage on the high idle cam, and adjusting the screw for the idle speed. If this is something you feel you could use a hand in repairing, contact a certified mechanic, like those available at YourMechanic.com.

3. On cold start up it idles up to 2800 after a few min i tap the gas and it drops to normal 800 -1000 rpm idle speed