Q: oil pressure low light came on one time for a few mins, went out hasnt came back on. what does that mean

asked by on February 16, 2017

Oil pressure low light came on one time for a few mins. It went out and hasn't came back on. No unusual noise. Oil life is 74%. What could this mean

Oil Pressure Light is on Inspection $79.99 - $89.99 Get a Quote

When a low oil pressure warning is displayed, it can normally be narrowed down to one of three basic causes. An oil pressure sensor that is reading a faulty pressure, oil pressure that is actually low due to worn bearings or oil pump, or the most common cause, a low oil level. The low oil level is by far the most common cause, and sets the warning because the level can get low enough that the oil pump is unable to pick up the oil to circulate it through the system. Thus, the system is actually losing oil pressure, and the warning comes on. A low level may be noticed more on hard stops and during cornering, but this is not always the case. With the age and mileage on the vehicle, I would suggest checking the oil every week to ten days, as engines will consume more oil as they age. If you feel you need help in identifying and/or repairing the issue, contact a certified mechanic, like those available at YourMechanic.com.