Q: Oil Pressure light comes on after driving for 10 mins

Dear Sir, My Toyota Corolla had Oil Pressure light coming on after driving for 10 mins So stopped driving & got inspected by local mechanic. Recommendation of mechanic: Recommend remove oil pan inspection for possible oil pump screen clog YourMechanic suggested the service: Oil Pan Gasket Replacement, since it was the closest standard service. If my car needs Is that correct? say oil-pump replacement, will the mechanic add that without charging for labor again, or will it be a different service at a different time ?

If the oil pressure warning light has come on, the very first thing to do is make sure the cause is not a malfunction in the warning light circuit or oil pressure sensor. The circuit can be tested and the actual engine oil pressure can be verified using an external pressure gauge. Measurement of the pressure will tell you if there is an actual lack of pressure versus a malfunction in the oil pressure sensor and warning light system. If pressure does read low, there are multiple causes of that and a blockage of the oil pick up screen is merely one of the multiple causes. The reason your Mechanic has suggested examining the pick up screen for a blockage is simply because that is one of the more accessible things to inspect. But, if the screen turns out to be clear, the other causes will have to be looked at, in turn, until the fault is found and each "cause" is associated with added diagnostic labor and ultimately "parts" once the cause is identified. Your vehicle has very low miles. Consequently, you just want to make sure that the simplest causes, such as a malfunctioning pressure switch, are carefully ruled out first. Be sure to check with the mechanic as to whether he or she measured the actual oil pressure on your engine. If you would like YourMechanic to resolve this, whatever the cause of the light illuminating may turn out to be, please simply request an oil pressure inspection/diagnostic and the responding certified mechanic will let you know why the light is on and what the required repairs will be. If you have further questions or concerns, do not hesitate to re-contact YourMechanic.