Q: Oil light goes off and on

The last couple of weeks or more i had been smelling oil burning not bad real light ok as i was driving today the oil light comes on i go to gas station check my oil.....do not need oil so close hood and take off light. Is not on drive for about 30 minutes light comes back on when i stop, pull off it goes off when im driving it is not on only when i stop should i be driving it? Also about 4 months ago a different engine was put in car so not sure of mileage

A: The engine oil pressure may be getting too ...

The engine oil pressure may be getting too low at idle from the engine oil pump not pumping enough pressure or the engine bearing are worn and leaking excess oil past them when the engine is running. You could also have a bad oil pressure sending unit. I recommend having a mechanic like one from YourMechanic check the engine for low oil pressure using a pressure gauge at the sending unit location. If the pressures are okay at idle when the engine is warm then replace oil sensor. If the engine pressures are low and does not come up to a good reading then the engine may needs oil pan removed and bearings checked for excessive engine wear in the engine bearings and oil pump. Engine may need overhaul or replaced.