Q: Oil is leaking into spark plug wells

Car started to run poorly and rough. Engine light came on took it to auto zone. Ran a test and showed number four is cutting out on engine. Pulled the spark plugs out and noticed oil in all the wells. One spark plug well thread came out. I guess gasket seals are bad?

A: Hello. You are correct. There has likely be...

Hello. You are correct. There has likely been a gasket and, or grommet failure. The oil contaminates the plug and retards the spark. Hence the poor engine performance. It also causes the pressures to vary from normal and stresses out the engine. Replacing these gaskets is an easy task, but accessing them is a different story. Make sure if you are doing this at home, bag and tag everything you remove from the engine. When reinstalling, make sure you are properly torqueing down the bolts. Go ahead and replace all of the spark plugs after that. Make sure that all of the spark plug wires are clean, dry, and tight. Any contamination on these will result in similar effects.