Q: Oil change - Synthetic 5k or 10k?

asked by on December 20, 2016

I had my last oil change at a dealer and they told me come back within 6 months/5K miles even though they put 0W-20 synthetic. My other car was given a 1 year/10K mile interval instead. It has been 5.5K miles so should I follow the 5K the dealer said or the 10K that my other car uses (the same oil).

You should follow the dealer or manufacturer recommended change intervals. Your vehicle calls for oil changes every 6 months or 5,000 miles. Using a different oil that is synthetic you still should go with recommended intervals since the oil filter still is designed to be replaced every 5,000 miles.