Q: Odometer malfunctioning, ABS light on constantly

asked by on July 26, 2016

My car performs just fine, but the odometer isn’t working properly and neither does the trip. The ABS light stays on constantly and every time I start my car, the Service light will come on, but only briefly. It goes off after around a minute. What can I do to get the odometer to properly start clicking again?

On the Volvo 850, there is a plastic gear on the odometer/trip meter unit inside the instrument cluster that is known to wear out. The instrument cluster will have to be removed, disassembled, and the gear replaced to correct the odometer issue.

The ABS Light is most likely on due to a fault in the system. Wheel speed sensors or hydraulic unit issues are common causes for faults in the ABS system. The ABS computer will need to have the faults read out and corrected to get the light off.

The Check Engine Light is most likely being illuminated by a soft fault in the system. You may want to have the fault memory read out of the engine computer as well and have any faults corrected.

You may want to enlist the help of a mechanic, such as one from YourMechanic, who will not only be able to diagnose the warning lights, but also perform the delicate repair of the odometer gear, as damage to instrument cluster can be very costly.