Q: Odd whining sound, hoping an experienced mechanic might Identify

After getting back my GTI I had loaned out for a while, it had a new strange sound, which is most noticeable at low revs, when there is not much other noise. Seems to have a louder resonance at some frequencies. I don't notice it so much listing under the hood.

It has a bit if a whine like a toothed belt or noisy electric motor armature.

Here's a recording from the interior passenger foot well, (seems a bit louder on that side) doing a slow drive through a parking lot.

soundcloud.com/user-839875510/gti-whine/s-vyXLu

Any clues as to what I should examine would be appreciated.

I should look into would be appreciated.

3. Odd whining sound, hoping an experienced mechanic might Identify