Q: Odd whining sound, hoping an experienced mechanic might Identify

After getting back my GTI I had loaned out for a while, it had a new strange sound, which is most noticeable at low revs, when there is not much other noise. Seems to have a louder resonance at some frequencies. I don't notice it so much listing under the hood.

It has a bit if a whine like a toothed belt or noisy electric motor armature.

Here's a recording from the interior passenger foot well, (seems a bit louder on that side) doing a slow drive through a parking lot.

soundcloud.com/user-839875510/gti-whine/s-vyXLu

Any clues as to what I should examine would be appreciated.

I should look into would be appreciated.

A: Good job on the recording! What your experi...

Good job on the recording! What your experiencing is a problem in the wheel bearing. You'll notice the sound is associated with the speed of the car and not the speed of the engine, which usually points to drive line issues. It's probably the right front, since that is where you are hearing it the loudest, but they can be tricky. Try driving the car in long left and right turns, a right front wheel bearing will get louder in a left turn and vice-versa. The fix is pretty straightforward, but requires a few special tools. Using YourMechanic, a technician can be sent to your home or office to fix your wheel bearing while you go about your day!