Q: Occasionally there is a grinding noise when braking to a stop then engine stall.

Occasionally when braking to come to a stop, there is a grinding noise coming from the transmission or transfer case causing the vehicle to lunge under power then stall when the vehicle comes to a stop. It feels like a manual transmission when someone forgets to down shift, but there is a grinding noise being produced.

Hi there. If the noise is only heard when the brakes are applied, then the rotors and pads are rubbing metal to metal. This can make a grinding noise that is heard throughout the vehicle. For the vehicle stalling at a stop, then either the torque converter clutch (TCC) is engaged and won’t release or the idle air control valve (IAC) is not working properly. Find the fuse for the TCC and remove it. Then drive the vehicle and see if the problem is fixed or continues. If the problem is fixed, then you will need to either replace the torque converter or the torque converter control solenoid in the transmission. If the problem continues, then check the IAC and see if its working. If the valve is not functional, then I recommend replacing it. If the noise is grinding all the time and not just when the brakes are applied, then there could be a thrust washer or gear going out in the transmission. If the sound is heard when the engine is started, then drain the engine oil and see if there is metal in the oil. If there is, then the engine has worn parts and needs rebuilt or replaced. If you need further assistance with your vehicle making a grinding noise and stalling, then seek out a professional, such as one from Your Mechanic, to help you.

3. Occasionally there is a grinding noise when braking to a stop then engine stall.