Q: not starting in park

My Mitsubishi Limited is having problems starting sometimes when I start my engine. It won't start in park, but it will start when I shift to neutral. If I put it in reverse it won't go through. So I have to shift it again until it will go into reverse. What could be wrong with my car?

This is an indication of a failed transmission range selection switch. The information from this switch is used not only to indicate the driver’s choice of gear selection for the transmission to be electronically controlled, but also is used to determine if the transmission is in park or neutral for starting. This range switch would need to be replaced. You may want to enlist the help of a mechanic, such as one from YourMechanic, who will have the tools and expertise to install a new transmission range selection switch.