Q: Noise like a siren and turbo completely gone

My car has approx. 94,000 miles. I purchased it pre-owned and at the time it had a whistling noise at lower speeds. The sound was like an ambulance siren. Now, the sound has ‘increased’ to what could be described as an air raid siren and the turbo is completely gone! The car will still drive, but there’s very little power and a loud whining noise. I can hear the loud noise even when the car is idling. There’s no smoke and the problems seem rather uneventful except for the loss of power and increase in noise. What is causing these noises and turbo problems?

A: The most likely cause of these symptoms of ...

The most likely cause of these symptoms of this are a failing turbo, large vacuum leak, or a damaged intake. This level of symptom damage to the engine can result from continued driving. If the turbo has failed, it can break and be sucked into the engine causing engine failure. This fault should be diagnosed as soon as possible. A qualified technician, such as one from YourMechanic, will be able to inspect the whining noise, diagnose the car’s loss of power, and perform any repairs required.