Q: Q: No start

I am having trouble with starting my vehicle. I have been working on it a little here and there. I first changed the coil pack which didn't work. Then I changed the whole distributor, plug and plug wires and reset timing. It ran after I did that but when I shifted into 3rd and 4th gear it shimmied until I got it high in rpms. It feathered out so I thought the fuel pumps went out which the in line one did but I changed the tanks and in tank pumps and in line pumps. I also changed the fuel filter and the fuel lines up to the in line pump. I tried cranking it and it turns over very fast as if the ignition is retarded. So I figured the timing jumped. I replaced the gears and chain but the timing was on. It still sounds retarded. What else could it be?

Hi there. As you already know, repairing and replacing components without proper diagnoses can be expensive and time consuming without resolution. The engine turning over very fast, would lead me to performing a compression test. This will also give you the opportunity to inspect spark plug condition. Assuming, the compression test passes and spark plug condition is good. Check for spark and perform a fuel pressure test, this will help identify what direction to go next. Ignition or fuel. Using a test light, check for power to the positive side of the ignition coil and power supplied to the fuel pump while cranking. A loss of power to the ignition coil could be, a EEC (electronic engine control) relay, a loss of power to the fuel pump(s) could be, a faulty fuel pump relay. An ignition module may have failed. There are numerous possibilities. I recommend having your vehicle’s no start be diagnosed and repaired by a certified technician, such as one from YourMechanic.