Q: No gears in the transmission. I have a 545RFE transmission.

I was driving on the highway and the truck went into nutral, it didn't lock just coasted to the side of the rode . I shifted to 2 then 1 and up to reverse nothen . Have to fix this weekend were should I start . I was going to do torque converter but the more I read , i now think I should try the shift sensor in the pan but neither are cheap

Gears slipping when accelerating Inspection $79.99 - $89.99 Get a Quote

Hi there. First check the transmission fluid and make sure that it’s full and red in color. Then check the harness to the transmission shifter position sensor and see if it’s connected. There is a pressure relief valve in the transmission to dump pressure when not needed. It is possible that the pressure relief valve may be opening and dumping all the line pressure causing the transmission to naturally shift into neutral. Also, the transmission could be slipping in and out of gear causing the transmission to go into a neutral state. I recommend seeking out a professional, such as one from Your Mechanic, to help you diagnose your transmission shifting into neutral on its own issue.