Q: No crank/no start

Hi and thank you to whoever is reading this.I have a no crank/no start issue. Everything was working fine till I get in my car drive a couple blocks and car dies at a stop light. Push it to the side and go to crank it and nothing. Had a new battery lying around at my shop so I put that in and nothing. Terminals are clean and fine. So I had it towed back to my shop and I suspected it was a bad alternator. Had it tested at my local auto parts store and it was bad so I bought a new one slapped it back on and nothing still no crank. So next was my starter, removed and had it tested and that was bad as well (or the auto parts store employees just wanted to sell) so bought a new one and installed it and STILL no crank no start. Triple checked every connection and nothing. Bad ignition switch maybe?..I believe I dont have a fuse/relay for the starter in my car but all fuses look fine..

Hi There, You are correct in that this model BMW does not have a starter relay. What you are describing sounds a lot like a faulty ignition switch which these cars are prone to having. As you may know, your ignition has several circuits: Always On - Connected directly to the battery and is not affected by the ignition switch. This includes: alarm, interior lights, brake lights, headlights, computer memory (radio, ecu, tcm, bcm) Accessory - Items that the driver needs, but are not necessary for the vehicle to run. These include: radio, HVAC, windshield wipers Run - These items are necessary for the engine to run. Items include: ecu, fuel pump, coils(s) Start - This circuit runs the starter. The ignition switch controls which circuits get power from what position it is in. Key position: ACC: powers the accessory circuit RUN: powers the accessory and run circuits START: powers the run and start circuits Most modern ignition switches have an UNLOCK position that allows you to turn the steering wheel (and possible shift out of park) while none of keyed circuits are active. When your ignition switch fails, this may cause any of the above circuits to remain active after taking the key out of the ignition.

3. No crank/no start