Q: No check engine light

asked by on September 04, 2016

Replaced one coil 2 years ago. No pick up n go from dead stop. Sluggish. At 45 Mph, acceleration is hesitant and must back down or over accelerate to pick up speed. No Check Engine light at all. Need to know how to find coil or injector that is bad. I have no diagnostic equipment.

Considering your symptoms, I would suspect that your issue lies within the fuel or ignition system. Without diagnostic equipment, it would be best to have your vehicle inspected by a technician who does. Although you have no Check Engine Light, it is possible that the Check Engine Light may be burned out and that trouble codes could still be stored. I would first recommend having your vehicle scanned for trouble codes with an OBD2 scanner. This will help to determine which system or parts may be involved. If no codes exist, I would then recommend having the fuel pressure tested. If the fuel pressure is lower than factory specifications, the fuel pump or fuel filter may be close to the end of useful life. If the fuel pressure is within specification, I would then recommend having the ignition coils tested one by one with a spark tester to determine if any coils or spark plugs are malfunctioning. If you’d like assistance with these checks, consider YourMechanic, as a certified technician can perform the necessary tests to properly diagnose your acceleration issue.