Q: The electric throttle light is on and the car idling rough when it turn it on. It wont go over a certain speed.

asked by on March 15, 2017

This morning the electric throttle control light came on and then the car started jerking and vibrating rough and cut my engine power down so I could only go about 5mph or so. I pulled over and turned the car off. I let it sit for a minute and then turned it back on. It was fine for a little bit. About 6 miles down the road it did it again. I made it to work and parked the car. I tried turning it back on at lunch and it is shaking a lot.

Hello, thank you for writing in. The vehicle has detected an issue with the electronic throttle system. The system is designed with sensors and monitors that let you know when there is an issue, and the send you into "limp mode" where you are not able to fully utilize the engine to decrease the chances of more damage. The light is triggered by a diagnostic code, which will let you know in what part of the system there has been an error detected. Scan the vehicle for diagnostic codes, and take corrective action from there. Without those codes, it is a guessing game. For more help resolving the issue, contact our service department to schedule an appointment.