Q: No acceleration when in drive, but will drive after starting it over

I have a 2004 Chrysler Sebring and just a couple days ago, it was really cold out and when I went to leave my car would not accelerate in drive. It let me reverse. I turned my car off and back on and it accelerated in drive but then did it again when I came to the stop sign. So today I let my car warm up for 30 minutes before driving it and it was better but still did it when I stopped at a stop sign. Today I was driving and the car was driving fine but I had to brake quickly and when I came to a complete stop and then went to accelerate my car would not go, so I put it in park and then back into drive and it drove fine. This last week I’ve also been hearing a ticking coming from my back left tire and my car has been shaking more than normal. Any ideas what is wrong?

It is not clear from your description if engine speed (RPM) increases normally but the car just won’t move or if there is no increase in engine speed. In the case where engine speed increases, what you have is possibly a transmission related fault. However, if engine speed does not increase, then there is something wrong with the engine controls. Check the transmission fluid level and condition. Low fluid can cause lack of movement in "Drive". Also, if the transmission fluid filter is blocked, there can be loss of movement. If engine speed increases and the fluid level is adequate there is probably an internal transmission fault and that could include internal hydraulic leaks, valve body faults, clutch failures and so forth. If you want the required diagnostic steps performed by a certified Mechanic, dispatched by YourMechanic right to your location, please request a lack of movement in drive diagnostic. If you have further questions or concerns, do not hesitate to re-contact YourMechanic as we are always here to help you.