Q: New clutch, now car briefly loses power uphill as if the breaks are being lightly tapped. Also sometimes revs high without power.

asked by on April 16, 2017

Since fitting a new clutch, I experience very brief loss of power when driving steadily, usually third or fourth gear and especially on gradual hills. Today, it revved very high when I applied more gas going uphill in third, but there was no extra power served.

Hi there. Fiat’s are notorious for having clutch system problems. The clutch system on a Fiat is also one of the most difficult to adjust. In fact, a discrepancy of less than 0.010" can cause the clutch to slip. When a car is accelerating up hill, additional drag is created on the clutch, which is why the likely cause of your issue is that it’s not adjusted correctly. I would recommend having a professional Fiat specialist look at your vehicle to see if they can adjust the clutch for you, or look over the system for you.