Q: New Aftermarket clutch works well and gets into gears smoothly but 1st and reverse gears makes my engine shutter like no other.

New Aftermarket clutch works well and gets into gears smoothly but 1st and reverse gears makes my engine shutter like no other. I was wondering if it could be the install's problem or the clutch still needs to be broken in? I feel the clutch pedal getting lighter because of the break-in but the shutter from reverse and 1st does not get any better at all.

A: The shuddering you feel may be a warped or ...

The shuddering you feel may be a warped or contaminated pressure plate/flywheel. I normally send the flywheel to a machine shop to have it resurfaced when I install a new clutch. This helps prevent the shuddering you described. Contamination from oil or grease can also cause that feeling, but not as severe. You don't really need to break in a clutch, but sometimes they will grab a bit better after a while.

If you'd like to have this looked at, consider YourMechanic, as a certified technician can diagnose the shuddering you're experiencing and fix it from there. Best of luck.