Q: Q: Need to start car after sitting for years

My car has been sitting for years. It worked fine before I parked it, and I would start it up every week. I got busy and time passed, and now we are in the present. I heard that the gas in it is probably no good, and needs to be drained first. What else do I need to do to get it started?

Hi! There are a few things that may need to be done on a vehicle that has been sitting for a while. I definitely would suggest draining the old gas, but before draining, I would add some sort of fuel treatment to the tank such as Marvel Mystery Oil, to help loosen any old gas deposits inside of it. I would also suggest replacing the fuel filter because the fuel treatment won’t always fully clean all of the deposits inside the tiny spaces of the fuel filter. It is also suggested that an oil change be performed on a vehicle that has been sitting for so long; conventional oils are to be replaced after three months, while synthetic oils can last as long as 7 months. I also suggest to safely add Marvel Mystery Oil, or a similar treatment, to the oil. Doing so will help clean up any deposits inside of the engine.

Being that the car will not start, you may benefit from a mobile automotive service such as YourMechanic. They can have a certified mechanic come out to the location of your Town Car, and provide an onsite general inspection, then recommend any necessary repairs.

3. Q: Need to start car after sitting for years