Q: My truck will turn over but wont start. Its making a clicking noise and then shuts off, what should i do to fix it?

asked by on December 01, 2016

The starter will turn over but won't start. I was just driving a few minutes ago and it started jerking. Now I turned it off and it won't come back on.

Fuel Pump Replacement $129.49 - $1234.40 Get a Quote
Car is not starting Inspection $79.99 - $99.99 Get a Quote

Hi there. Check the fuel pump relay and see if the relay has failed. If the relay is working fine, then check the fuel pump and see if its coming on when you turn on the key. If you are unsure if the pump is coming on, then check the fuel pressure on the fuel rail and see if there is pressure when the key is turned on. If there is no pressure and the relay is working, then the fuel pump is not working. Check the power to the fuel pump and see if the pump is having power coming out of it to the ground. If there is power to the pump and no power to the ground, then the fuel pump motor has failed and needs replaced. If you need further assistance with your engine not starting, then seek out a professional, such as one from Your Mechanic, to help you.

Experienced Mechanic?

Earn up to $70/hr